Driving in the Big Apple is known to be somewhat challenging, and that’s putting it lightly. It seems like everyone must drive aggressively if you hope to travel even a few city blocks on the congested streets of New York City. But does that aggressive driving actually translate to higher crash rates for NYC residents?
It’s important to know about the risks of driving in New York, whether you live there or are just visiting. Knowing the risks ahead of time can help you prepare for them, so that you don’t become a traffic accident statistic.
Continue reading to learn more about accident rates in the Big Apple, and how you can protect against being in a wreck yourself.
All About Accident Rates in NYC
Below, here is some information on traffic accident rates in the Big Apple for 2018:
- In NYC, there were 19,272 motor vehicle collisions in 2018.
- 10 motorists were killed and 2,392 were injured.
- 2 passengers were killed in traffic accidents with 1,744 injured.
- 541 cyclists were injured and 1 was killed in NYC traffic accidents in 2018.
- 693 pedestrians were injured in NYC and 3 were killed.
The leading causes of traffic accidents in NYC are:
- Distracted driving
- Improper passing or lane use
- Passing too closely
- Unsafe lane changing
- Failure to yield right-of-way
- Backing unsafely
- Driver inexperience
- Intoxicated driving
- Turning improperly
- Unsafe speed
- Aggressive driving
Tips for Avoiding an Accident in New York City
If you don’t want to be involved in an accident, and let’s face it, most of us don’t, then you can do some things to decrease your chances. You should follow these safety tips and tricks, so that you don’t end up the next statistic on this list.
- Don’t drink and drive – The jury has been in for a long time—drunk driving is dangerous. Don’t do it.
- Don’t engage in distracted driving practices – Distracted driving is rapidly becoming the leading cause of auto wrecks in NYC, and elsewhere. Put the phone away.
- Always wear your seat belt – Your life is in the click of your hand.
- Follow traffic laws – Many accidents could be prevented by following the traffic laws that have been created to prevent accidents. Traffic laws aren’t suggestions.
- When walking, pay attention to your surroundings – As a pedestrian, be aware of what’s happening around you. You may be able to avoid being struck if you exercise caution.
Contact a Big Apple Accident Attorney
Have you been injured in a traffic accident, whether as a driver, a passenger, a cyclist, or as a pedestrian? If you weren’t the person responsible for the crash and you’ve been seriously injured, you might be able to receive compensation for your losses. You can file a personal injury auto claim for what’s happened to you.
An NYC auto accident lawyer can assist you in filing your claim, giving you a better chance of receiving the settlement you deserve. Traffic incidents can cause serious injuries and extensive damages for victims. Fight back against unsafe drivers by filing and winning an auto injury claim.